The Salvation Army is already meeting the need of our neighbors along the East Coast. Our canteens are loaded with food, drinks, and other supplies needed to serve first responders and those escaping from the storm.
We also have prayer warriors ready and able to offer a shoulder to cry on along with prayers and petition for loved ones or loss.
The Salvation Army is already serving at shelter locations across the Carolinas while simultaneously staging supplies and equipment to provide immediate relief to those impacted by Hurricane Irene.
- The Salvation Army is preparing staging locations in Greenville, NC; Charlotte, NC; and Waymart, PA to ready assets which will be deployed after the storm passes.
- These canteens will provide food, drinks, emotional and spiritual care to survivors and first responders.
- The northeastern United States has 100 canteens and one mobile feeding kitchen which can be deployed while the southern region has 270 canteens and four mobile feeding kitchens; currently, approximately 90 of these canteens have been formally mobilized or placed on standby.
- Each mobile food kitchen can make 20,000 meals per day and a mobile canteen can make 1,500 meals per day. The Salvation Army can produce several hundred thousand meals per day when operating at full capacity.
Local officials from the Carolinas to New England are already calling on the Army for assistance.
- Logistical support will be provided in key areas. For example, The Salvation Army will assist the state of New Jersey with contra flow on the Garden State Parkway, while also providing sanitary trailers and cleaning kits through the eastern United States.
- The Salvation Army has three satellite communications trucks deployed throughout the region to provide communications service in the event of an outage of normal channels.
- The Salvation Army encourages all residents in the path of Hurricane Irene to have a disaster plan in place and heed the advice of local officials regarding evacuations.
How You Can Help?
- Prayer! This is the most valuable and life changing thing you can do! You may not know their names but God does so pray for those in this storms path!
- Text the word “STORM” to 80888 for a $10 donation
- Call 1-800-SAL-ARMY
- Mail -Checks should be sent to Disaster Gift Processing Center, PO Box 1959, Atlanta, GA 30301 and designated “2011 Hurricane Season.”
“Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God” ~Ephesians 6:14-17